This publication has been researched, verified and complied….throughout the past decade….to be read and enjoyed by those who now call the East Village, and to all those who will call it home in years to come.
Also those with a curiosity about our communities demolished, vanished and colourful past in a birthplace town site visualized, started and laid out by the Canadian Pacific Railway Company Land Department in 1884.
Behind every community and surrounding area is stories/history. Too often it/they are unknown to developers, to residents or unappreciated by them.
What follows in this publication is an attempt to preserve in pictures, words, humor and images some of the early historical heritage of East Calgary ’s, Section 15 (in railway terminology). Happy reading.
A Look Back at the C.P.R. and Section 15 Township 24, Range 1, W5M
The Deane House
John Yonah Hector
City Hall School (Sleepy Hollow High)
The First Langevin Bridge
Grand Union Hotel
David Building (Victoria Apartments)
Chateau Rooms (St Louise Apartments)
The True & Correct Early History of Calgary’s First School
Dr. Henry George
House of Jacob Synagogue
Log Cabin Bakery
Pioneer Hostelry (Atlantic Hotel)
Calgary Gospel Mission
The First SPIRITUALIST Church of Calgary and LYCEUM
The Samis Block
The Costello Block
Calgary Iron Works Ltd
The Historic Sandstone Calgary City Hall
A Little Piece of History: Booker’s
A Peek at a Few Historic East Village Billboards
East Village Trivia
Montage of Our Past
A Montage Featuring Advertisements Found in Pages from the Past